Friday, January 11, 2013

A Listening Sales Person Increases Revenue & Profits - Smart Business Thinking


A Listening Sales Person Increases Revenue & Profits - Smart Business Thinking

My washer is broken. The spinner doesn’t spin and the water doesn’t drain.

So naturally I research Consumers Reports (CR) for the Best Buy (BB) washer – It’s a perfect fit for me.
To the local appliance store for the BB.

Tell the salesman I want the washing machine listed as the BB. But he doesn’t listen. Shows a competing brand that has more buttons than a space ship. “No, don’t have a house full of teenagers, just want clean socks, towels etc.”

He wont let up - shows another model. By this time I am frustrated that he is wasting my time by following his sales track paying no attention to my expressed needs. 

He realizes I am becoming irritated and ready to walk. “We have your BB in the warehouse…but it will take two weeks to deliver.”

"Two weeks? They can build one in two weeks. I’ll take the BB".

Some time later the dryer quits. Back to CR for the BB. Back to same dealer. Different sales person – same routine – this time I walk and buy from a different store.


One sale, one commission, and a company profit opportunity lost. Hardly the smooth-working company management assumes it to be. Plus an inconvenienced customer who will spread the word.

Bottom Line?
As an advisor to the CEO, I would revamp the sales process so that it delivers buyer satisfaction in each phrase of the experience. The customer will often tell the sales person what they will buy. Listening to the buyer will lead to improved performance and a satisfied customer.


Jim is an expert business coach and a respected advisor to management and financial executives. He draws on his long-term business leadership background to help CEOs grow revenue, increase profits, improve performance.   



1 comment:

  1. Not to mention your second store was probably farther from you. Someone will end up paying for your inconvenience.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete